Conjunctivitis and Eye Care service
Conjunctivitis is an inflammation of the conjunctiva (the thin lining that protects the white part of the eyes and inside of the eyelids), causing symptoms of redness of the eyes, gritty eyes and itchiness and/ or sticky fluid discharges.
- Bacterial or viral infections of the eyes
- Allergies, such as pollen (hay-fever) dust mites animal fur and eye make-up
- Irritant or chemical substance(s) getting into the eyes, such as chlorine in swimming pools
Symptoms of Conjunctivitis may include:
- The white parts of the eyes look red, swollen or inflamed.
- Bacterial conjunctivitis usually causes a yellow sticky fluid or “discharge.” This can cause the eyelids to stick together, form crusts while you sleep and blur your vision (which clears with blinking).
- Allergy or viral infections usually cause more watery and/ or itchy eyes.
- Your eyes may feel gritty, sore and irritated, but usually not painful.
Your pharmacist can provide chloramphenicol (an antibiotic) eye drop or ointment, which helps you recover from bacterial infections more quickly. This involves a private consultation with the pharmacist to determine the best treatment options for you.
This pharmacy provides Conjunctivitis and Eye Care service. Please speak to one of our Pharmacy staff regarding this service.